VT Chamber: Election results indicate costly legislative session ahead

Editor’s note: The following is republished from the Vermont Chamber of Commerce blog.

With most statewide races pre-determined by the results of a competitive Primary and little contest in the General, all eyes were on down ballot races on Election Day. With high voter turnout, election results confirmed that the Democrats will have a veto-proof majority in both the House and the Senate for the upcoming biennium.

A legislative override of a Governor’s veto requires 100 votes in the House and 20 in the Senate. With 109 elected Democrats and Progressives in the House and 23 in the Senate, the majority party will have new-found power to challenge any veto by Governor Phil Scott, even if there is some dissension in party lines on legislation. The Governor won his fourth term in a landslide, suggesting voters also support his message of affordability, which sets up a challenge of ideals for the upcoming session.

Click here to see what this means for the upcoming legislative session.

Image courtesy of Michael Bielawski/TNR
Spread the love

5 thoughts on “VT Chamber: Election results indicate costly legislative session ahead

  1. In recent times, how many self-anointed “Real Republicans” have won an election in Vermont?
    I can’t change or enact legislation without being elected.
    And standing on the state house steps shouting, and name-calling gets you nowhere.
    Mr. Sexton has proven so.

    The mess we’re in has been brought to you by the self-anointed, unelectable ‘Real Republicans’.

  2. It is not enough for the Vermont Chamber to spend money to lobby the legislature. If the members of the Vermont Chamber truly want a different outcome they need to be much more involved in getting elected the legislators who will support their agenda. Until then they can expect more of the same.

  3. Yes, the Democrats will have a veto-proof majority in both the House and
    the Senate, Yes Vermont’s didn’t learn a thing !!

    Hold on to your wallets, the worst is yet to come, the liberals have spoken,
    but you’ll be held accountable for all the nonsense coming forthwith …….

    When will Vermont wake up, only when it hits rock bottom I guess, and we
    are on that slope ??

  4. Democrats got what they want, a veto proof majority. Expect huge monies going into any & all “Feel Good” policies , climate change, EV cars, attack all needed oil & gas, Race, Gender, Equality, LGBTQ, Trannie’s, Indigenious People, BLM, CRT, all with subsidized everything . Quote from VT Chamber Commerce:

    ” (all) These initiatives will rely on new taxes, with payroll and income taxes at the top of the list.”

    You wanna’ own a buiness in VT now? More taxes, more inflation and very few workers to be found. And if you are the “supposed” rich (but you aren’t)….you will pay more. Time to get out……VT is a Progressive timebomb of over spending & debt nightmares….like a $9.1 BILLION budget for a mere 640k people? With a $4.5 – $5 BILLION unfunded Union Retirement & Health benefit? That $5 BILLION deficit covers 34,500 VT Union retirees….That is over 5% of the VT POPULATION – those 5% demand $5 BILLION – from the other 95% of Vermonter suckers, who are largely poor, lower or middle (non union $), incomes?? It will not work out well. Numbers dio not lie.

  5. We have to take a long hard look at the rhinos that sold this out in this election.

    Who are the rhinos in the party leadership the supported erica redic in spite of the fact she didn’t qualify to be a GOP candidate and ended up running as a libertarian with full support from the lying GOP.

    Joe Benning ran for lieutenant governor and voted for prop 5 twice and said he would vote for article 22 to slaughter The unborn and destroy the family unit while mutilating our children and who supported Joe Benning the corrupt Vermont GOP.

    I think it’s time to start to lay blame exactly where it belongs and that is in the hands of Terry Burke the head of the Rutland county GOP and people like Kevin douherty from the Clarendon republican committee and malcolm bliss and rob roy and wendy wilton and randy gray and a host of others that sold us right down the tubes…

    I have been saying it for a long time and I continue to believe it that the Vermont GOP is as corrupt as the democrat party in the state of Vermont…

    I do not denounce Donald Trump and I am not a Phil Scott republican whatever that is..

    We have been sold out by our own republican party and everyone who supported Erica Redic and Joe Benning..

    I know this truth will bother some people but it’s still the truth.

Comments are closed.