Pentagon to extend National Guard stay at U.S. Capitol

By Andrew Trunsky

The Pentagon is prepared to extend the National Guard’s presence at the U.S. Capitol for an additional two months, defense officials said Tuesday.

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin is expected to give final approval, though Pentagon officials told The Associated Press that final details were still being discussed.

Capitol Police requested last week that the National Guard continue to provide security on Capitol grounds amid heightened fears and continued threats of violence.

The National Guard

At least 25,000 National Guard men and women were authorized to conduct security, communication and logistical missions in support of federal and District authorities leading up and through the 59th Presidential Inauguration in January.

Without an extension, Guard members would leave Washington, D.C., on March 12, the original deadline for them to stay, according to the AP. The extension has led to pushback from multiple governors who say they will not keep their Guard deployed at the Capitol.

“I do not have any intention of agreeing to an extension of this deployment,” Michigan Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said at a March 2 press conference, the Detroit Free Press reported.

The coming extension highlights concerns over potential violence at the Capitol two months after a mob of Trump supporters stormed the building as lawmakers certified President Joe Biden’s victory.

The riot left five people dead, including a Capitol Police officer, and resulted in the installation of fencing around the Capitol, White House, and other nearby areas.

Multiple reports said that more violence could occur on March 4, when a false QAnon conspiracy claimed that former President Donald Trump would again usurp the presidency, but the day passed with no problems.

Law enforcement officials and members of the National Guard set up security perimeters ahead of Biden’s inauguration on Jan. 16, 2021 in Washington, D.C.

The National Guard’s deployment in early January has not been without controversy.

Thousands of guardsmen around the Capitol were forced off the building’s grounds and into freezing parking garages, with as many as 5,000 troops sharing one bathroom. In early March, dozens of Michigan National Guard troops got food poisoning after eating undercooked food, while some said they found metal shavings in their meals.

Guardsmen at the Capitol have been given access to facilities in congressional buildings for their on-duty breaks since the controversy, the AP reported.

The cost of deploying the approximately 26,000 troops around the Capitol approached $500 million, and it is unclear how much more it will cost to keep them stationed.

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities for this original content, email licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.

Image courtesy of The National Guard
Spread the love

8 thoughts on “Pentagon to extend National Guard stay at U.S. Capitol

  1. Democrats Are Terrified of the American People – They Overruled the National Guard Chief Who Wanted to Pull Out of DC
    By Joe Hoft Published March 11, 2021 at 6:30pm 825 Comments
    https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2021/03/democrats-terrified-american-people-overruled-national-guard-chief-wanted-pull-dc/

    Exclusive
    Gillian Turner at FOX News reported this afternoon that FOX News had obtained a letter from the chief of the National Guard that disagreed with keeping Guardsmen in the Capitol. However, this recommendation was overruled by the Biden Administration

  2. I do not know if VT Guards are there. But if they are it is time for Phil to bring them home.

  3. Do not continue to thank members of the U.S. Armed Forces for their service! Doing the bidding of an illegitimate Socialist Tyranny, established by coup, is nothing but shameful, disgusting and dishonorable They are not serving to uphold the U.S. Constitution, which for all practical purposes, no longer exists. They are nothing less than the armed goon squad for the protection of Socialist/Communist Tyrants so they can impose their will on the citizenry. Look at them standing around that razor wire “House of Horrors”! What is the reason for their presence? Well they can’t say but just trust them. It’s for your own good and the good of the nation. It only gets worse from here!

    • Once deployed – military has no choice but is conscripted to follow orders. Disrespecting our servicemen is not helping anyone imo.

      • Their allegiance is sworn to uphold The Constitution not to a government who does not support The Constitution. I guess you would think that the Nazi army had no moral choice either.

        • Dream on they – can be court-marshalled. Further – POTUS is CIC. For anything substantive to be done ranking military leaders would need to object and as we can plainly see the one who did was outranked by CIC.

          Soldiers can object in writing and we do not know how many have done so and possibly dismissed during the inquisition. Nazi comparison doesn’t work – it was the higher-ups who were charged at Nuremberg – not troops. Had they objected would have been shot and bulldozed into a trench.

Comments are closed.