The following commentary by Steve MacDonald has been republished with permission from GraniteGrok.
Democrat-run Vermont has been violated – by Democrats! Someone (or several of them) broke some windows and spray-painted a threatening message at the State House. “If abortions aren’t safe, you’re not either.” Does this classify as a Democrat-on-Democrat hate crime? Did the perps even know radical leftists control State Government?
Or that Vermont has very loose rules for abortion. By which I mean no rules?
- Vermont does not have any of the major types of abortion restrictions—such as waiting periods, mandated parental involvement or limitations on publicly funded abortions—often found in other states.
- Vermont does not have a law requiring that alternatives to abortion be discussed with a patient before an abortion is performed.
- Vermont is one of only a very few states that allow abortions to be performed by non-physicians (physician assistants, nurse practitioners, and nurse midwives).
- It is legal for an abortion to be performed in Vermont at any stage of pregnancy for any reason or for no reason.
- There is no requirement that parents be informed.
Anyone can perform one (same as NH). The “patient” needs to be pregnant. You need to report that it happened. So, the law only asks that if you kill an unborn baby, you must notify the department of health within seven days for bookkeeping purposes.
Maybe that seems a bit authoritarian for the average conception to whenever we decide you need to die pro-abortion Democrat, but in the grand scheme, it’s a nothingburger.
So, why are lefties vandalizing the state house? It is because of years of Democrat rule, Democrat control of media, and Democrat control of education and culture.
They think the Federal government giving Vermont unlimited authority over the issue is somehow a threat. And hey, you’re not safe if you think you might be doing something with that.
Are you afraid that a legislature full of Democrats might remove the reporting requirement or that they’ll keep it? Or is this another one of those object lessons the left never learns? Once you’ve created these little monsters, they can quickly turn on you for not being radical enough. Tools that, once no longer needed, can be disposed of along with your political opponents – a lesson from history you never allowed them to learn.
And here they are, threatening you already.